Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wellness Wednesdays

Sugar
Last week I was going to post about sugar. Sadly I ended up with a bad cold and was unable to do much of anything, much less write and finish a blog post. Below is an excerpt of what I was originally going to say.

"...The Sugar Monster
Once upon a time, there lived a little red headed girl in a magical kingdom. Every morning she would have toast for breakfast at 8 o'clock. One day she decided to put some jam on her toast. At 9 o'clock the earth started to shake and something ripped off the top of her little house. A HUGE ugly monster looked down at her and...

Okay that story is a piece of poor fiction. But it's surprising how often the sugar monster can visit you as soon as you have some chocolate or jam. An hour or so latter you suddenly could really go for another piece of chocolate, maybe even some cookies? The trick to dealing with the sugar monster? Don't eat sugar. If you do and the sugar monster does come, ignore it. Starve the monster and the smaller he will become. And ladies, lets not use our hormonal imbalances as an excuse to eat the whole bag of M&M's. Yes we do crave it more, but using it as an excuse to not feel guilty about poor health choices is not a good idea..."

I must have been in a bad unforgiving mood when I wrote the above. I must have been hormonally imbalanced and dying to eat that whole bag of M&M's in the pantry.  Possibly I was feeling guilty about attempting to eat the whole bag weeks before. That attitude is the exact one you don't want to have with sugar. Yes, it's very delicious and we do make poor choices, but being harsh on yourself and acting as if it's the end of the world won't make things better.

This friday is Valentines Day. My Sweetheart has already given me a heart-shaped box of chocolate. He knows I love chocolate and it's ultimately the perfect gift for me. I have already opened it, and have been trying to slowly enjoy each piece through out this week. It's a gift to me, not a burden. I can't let sweets be anything other than a gift. Enjoy it, savor it, but don't over indulge.


-Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment