Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Inspiration - Gelsey Kirkland

When I was little my mom and I would watch the Gelsey Kirkland and Mikhail Baryshnikov Nutcracker during Christmastime. Watching them dance was pure magic. As I have gotten older and have watched and been exposed to more ballet, I have been inspired by many other ballerina's and danseurs. Gelsey Kirkland is still my favorite of them all. This Pas De Deux (French for "step of two") from the Nutcracker is still quite breath taking.


Gelsey Kirkland sadly had a very dramatic career. Issues with partners, directors and eating disorders were a part of her early years in the ballet world. She overcame all of it later and came out stronger then ever. Ms. Kirkland now co-directs The Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet with Michael Chernov, which fosters dramatic storytelling "through a rich understanding of multiple artistic disciplines, cultures, and traditions."

No comments:

Post a Comment